SHUMS

SHUMS
I love having people visit us here. I also love getting back in contact with all of you. Please re-invite me to your blogs. I have tried to get on to several of them and I cant...

Thursday 21 February 2008

More Fun


I know I know another chinese new year post... Sorry to bore you yet again. I found all the pictures of the rest of the stuff we did over our break. We went to the National Palace Museum. It was full of lots of old stuff. My personal favorite was the Neolithic display. We saw pottery from 4000 BC. I was told I should be impressed by the jade that looked like a piece of pork or the jade carved to look like a cabbage. I have to say that this was not my personal high light of the museum. However they were old and it is impressive that someone has not tried to cook them yet. Since we were not allowed to take pics inside the museum, our pictures are of the grounds, which were beautiful. So, have you ever been shrimp fishing? Some of you may have but it was new to us. Ever since we moved here we have heard that we needed to go. We finally made it. It really is fun. Taylor is a die-hard fisherman, however, this was not professional by anymeans. Just a warehouse complete with three cement ponds. Two for shrimp fishing and one for fish fishing (that sounds weird). Jack loved holding the pole. It is not complicated or stratiegic at all. Just throw on a piece of chicken liver and you are set. We also took a ride up the Maokong Gondola. This was really beautiful. It was so rainey though we did not stay at the top for long. Just long enough to buy my sister Janelle some tea leaves. Maokong Mountian is known for its tea. At the top are loads of tea houses and a HUGE temple. The ride and view were both amazing.

Over Chinese New Year we did recieve some gifts from Taylor's students and work. It is customary here to buy these large boxes of giant fruit as gifts. Ours had "World Apples" and Korean Pears. As you can see they are gianormous!! We loved them. We also received a few boxes of chocolates but they were gone before I could take a picture. We are now in the middle of the Lantern Festival here. I am sure my next post will cover that really well for your viewing pleasure.... TTFN.

6 comments:

CoraCL said...

The fruits look yum. They must be $$$$$$$$$, especially the pears. Korean pear is one of my favorite.

Shums said...

i have only been fishing a couple of times. both happened to be at fish farms similar to what you described your shrimp fishing experience to be. i personally think that is how all fishing should be done. why make it more difficult on yourself than it needs to be?! i know, i probably married into the wrong family...

Jessica said...

That sounds like so much fun! When I was in Japan I LOVED all of the festivals. It seems like there is something going on all the time. I'm jealous!

Stew and Terry said...

Oh my, what an adventure this has been. Thanks so much for the blogs. Your having memories of a lifetime. I guess you and Jack are still quite the spectacle when your out and about! You go!

Kendra and Caleb said...

I miss it soo much! You guys should think about coming home! Your really gunna miss that invasion of personal space!

Maren & Danny said...

Wow- so much to do in so little time! Looks like a blast!